Puente Hills Landfill

 

After 56 years of operation, the Puente Hills Landfill closed on October 31, 2013.   The Puente Hills Landfill first opened in 1957 as the privately-owned San Gabriel Valley Dump. The Sanitation Districts purchased the landfill in 1970 for a regional disposal facility.  Over the years, the facility has employed numerous innovative, environmental approaches including generating electricity from landfill gas, managing materials recovery and recycling programs, dedicating the landfill property to a regional park after closure, and acquiring and maintaining local native habitat as open space. In addition, the state-of-the-art facility included extensive practices to manage odors, dust, birds, and provide landscaping to blend with the local native habitat.

CLOSURE ACTIVITIES

Closure activities, which include the construction of final cover, will take 12 - 18 months to complete.  For recorded information regarding acceptance of clean fill dirt, call (562) 908-4288, extension 6048.  For information regarding acceptance of asphalt grindings, call Customer Service at (562) 908-4876.  For additional information, 
call the landfill directly at (562) 908-4288, extension 6030.

Although trash will no longer be accepted at the landfill, other Sanitation Districts' facilities, the Puente Hills Materials Recovery FacilityDowney Area Recycling and Transfer Facility, South Gate Transfer Station, the Commerce Refuse-to-Energy Facility, and the Southeast Resource and Recovery Facility, will be open and available to meet the waste management needs of businesses and the community in the region.
 

Click on the following links for: